Monday, June 10, 2013

Flirting With Disaster

Flirting with Disaster
by Ruthie Knox
Rating: 4 of 5 stars

My Review:
I loved the content of this story. I liked the characters, I enjoyed the writing and I really liked that I didn't find any overused romance catchphrases. Sean and Katie were a cute couple and I enjoyed the twists and turns of how they found their happily-ever-after. I stayed up late two nights in a row to see what happened next in the story.

Sean knows who he is and is very confident of his skills, but can't deal with his feelings about his mom's death. He's stuck in his guilt and stuttering is his psychological regression to who he was when he lived with his mom.

Katie brings out this regression in him because he's had a crush on her since his teens. Sean refuses to talk to her because she's the only person around whom he can't control the stutter. Of course, the more he denies his feelings for her, the worse his stutter gets. I wish I could have heard Sean's voice.

Katie is intrigued by Sean, even though she doesn't want to be. She says he talks "…as if he had nothing better to do than tumble the sounds around on his tongue." It was hard to avoid just skipping over the stuttered words in the book. I kept forcing myself to slow down and and try to picture the way Sean would talk, but it was really hard for me - I didn't have a voice for him inside my head.

I liked who Sean was and I found it very intriguing how confident he was about everything except speaking to Katie. Katie had her own brand of internal confidence. I loved how everything was already inside her waiting to come out. She'd been discarded before and doubted who she was, but she was very authentic. Her subconscious knew who she was supposed to be and what she was supposed to do and it was fun to see her learn to follow her instincts and become more confident in who she was.

I'd say this one goes on the keeper shelf, but not the first book I'd reach for if I'm looking for mindless reading. Maybe next time I read it I'll have a good voice in my head, now that I know who the characters are, and I'll enjoy the book even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment