Monday, July 8, 2013

The Story Guy

by Mary Ann Rivers
Rating: 5 of 5 stars

My Review:
From the title and the description, I was expecting a mostly lighthearted story. You know, makes you feel good as you read it and is covered with a nice sensual haze. I mean, the book opens up with Carrie being lonely and replying to an anonymous ad for once a week kissing sessions. So, you know there's going to be kissing. And you know there's going to be a story behind the kissing-only thing.

I'd say the first third of the book was pretty much just as I would have hoped from any book I choose to read - a great, novel premise with an emotional writing style. Then things started getting intense. The story grabbed me hard and I could barely put the book down. I started expecting a Jane Eyre-style reveal - the twists and turns were so gripping but they were very original.

I ended up reading as I tried to make spaghetti, just because I couldn't leave these characters behind. I tried really hard not to cry too much while I worked on dinner, but it was really emotionally intense (in a good way). I can't say that everything was resolved by the end of the book. But both characters found a way to be together and grow through their issues. I think this author will need to go on my auto-buy list.

No comments:

Post a Comment