Saturday, July 6, 2013

Any Duchess Will Do

by Tessa Dare
Rating: 4 of 5 stars

My Review:
The description of this book didn't jump up and grab me like some books, but it's a Tessa Dare book so I had to get it. I didn't remember much about Pauline from the rest of the series and I couldn't figure out who Griff was for a while. I'd say it took a couple chapters for me to get into it, but once I did, I could barely put the book down.

We met Griff briefly in "A Week To Be Wicked". He wasn't really someone I cared anything about in that book - he seemed a bit too dissolute for my taste. Now, one of the questions I've mulled over is: Do I really believe that this Griff could be the same person as in "A Week To Be Wicked"? That Griff really seemed pretty irredeemable and just not even likable. The Griff in this book was completely different and I'm not sure that I believe the trauma he went through can account for the complete transformation.

There was also an issue for me that Pauline felt "In her youth, she hadn't guarded her 'favors' as closely as she should have. But Griff knew about that, and he never made her feel lesser for it." Maybe there should be some allowance because this is a historical, but this idea is problematic for me because Pauline is such an independent person and also because Griff just a year ago left his debauched lifestyle. Maybe the intention was to say that since her prior experience was less than stellar, she should have been more tuned in that the other guy wasn't treating her as an equal. But really, what ground did Griff have to stand on anyway if he did make her feel "lesser" - he was throwing bacchanalian orgies pretty constantly up until a year ago. If he did say something, I'd look at him as more of a pig - so the opposite (him not saying anything) does not make him a better choice in my opinion, it just makes him a decent human being.

I also found the concept of "tasting ripe as berries" rather funny. It just kept making me think, ripe body odor with a berry undertone. This is before the time that baths happened regularly, after all.

But Ms. Dare was able to carry the story and within the first few chapters and I was on the edge of my seat to see how Griff and Pauline worked out their differences. Even Griff's mother, who starts out looking very cold and manipulative, is shown to be a caring human who just needs help showing it. And all the characters are very amusing. They're good at poking fun at themselves and not taking themselves too seriously.

Pauline handles every hardship in a very open and honest way. Even though life hasn't been kind to Pauline, she has aspirations of opening her own bookshop in Spindle Cove. Griff is a duke. I had no idea how they'd be able to compromise. I really didn't want to see Pauline give up her dream just to be a duchess. But I can say, everything worked out splendidly for both of them. Their romance was "Not dreamlike or perfect, just more real." Over and over, Griff's brain says "Her. I want her." And every time it made me say "awww". It was very romantic. I got lots of happy tingles from reading this book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment