Friday, January 17, 2014

The Courage To Love by Samantha Kane

The Courage To Love
by Samantha Kane
Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

My Review:
This book was quite compelling. There was definitely a certain fascination to everything happening. It was one of my first MMF erotica novels, so I'm still never too sure what to expect when I pick one up. This one was really explicit and had pretty much every combination you can imagine between two guys and a girl.

The story behind all the sex was actually pretty violent and left a nasty feeling in my stomach. The violence and rape talk were pretty graphic and it was hard for me to imagine that a woman who's been through all that Kate went through just magically is ready to have sex with two guy now. It didn't feel like she processed her fear and grief, but she pretty immediately jumped into (not just some safe, gentle sex but) pretty intense, put all your trust in us, sex with these two guys (although she did know them from before and trusted them, so that's something).

It was actually somewhat jarring to have completely intense sex scenes thrown in with external sadism and violence almost whenever these characters leave the house. The two men (Jason and Tony) obviously cared for Kate and protected her very strongly but they felt really young to me. Almost like they were playing pretend all the time. Outside the bedroom, they did what they could to keep the story going and they seemed honorable and caring. But they felt like teenagers trying to strut their stuff more often than mature adults.

It was an interesting plot, not something an ordinary person would have come up with. The style and voice behind the book was well done and the emotions of the characters felt real. There's a bit of BDSM thrown into the book, but when you've already got two guys and a girl, it's nothing too hard core to throw in a little extra dominance. There were some plot points (outside the sex, obviously) that didn't really get resolved at the end of this book. I'm guessing since this is book one, these things will be taken care of in a later book.

All in all, I can't say for sure if I'll read book two. I did find the characters and the sex scenes pretty fascinating, but I'm not sure if I can stomach the possible violence in later books.

No comments:

Post a Comment