Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Sweet Potato Burritos

I don't even remember where I got this general recipe from. Someone passed it along ages ago and I make it every now and then. Sweet Potatoes are not a common food for me so I'm glad to get a little variety into my life. This is just filling for a burrito, so you can throw some spinach on top, or a dollop of plain greek yogurt (or sour cream), even some olives or salsa.

Sweet Potato Burritos

2 tbls butter
3 sweet potatoes
1/4 cup-ish of almond milk
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
3ish tsp of cilantro (I use 3-4 cubes of the frozen Dorio stuff)
2 cups cheese

First scrub the sweet potatoes, poke them all over and microwave until they're soft (possibly 12-15 minutes). Let them cool down if you want (so you don't burn your fingers), then peal off the skin and mash the meat in a bowl.

Melt the butter in a skillet and then add the sweet potato mash. Stir around and add the almond milk - enough so the sweet potatoes are a little fluffier but not runny. Add the black beans and cilantro. Stir until heated through. Finally add the cheese and keep stirring until it's all incorporated and nicely melted.

Use it to fill whatever burrito-y thing you feel like: tortillas, lettuce wraps. Even grab a bowl and use it as dip for chips. My favorite is wrapping in a tortilla with spinach on top and some plain greek yogurt. If I remember, I'll throw on olives too. Sadly, my kids refuse this mixture altogether and after forcing the issue once (and having a child with a tummy ache later), I decided the beans and sweet potatoes are not the thing for my kids. Maybe one day their palette will mature.

No comments:

Post a Comment