Saturday, December 14, 2013

Nutty Pancakes

Pretty much every weekend I make a double batch of these. This is a variation on some recipes I found for IHOPs Harvest Grain and Nut pancakes. This batter works for pancakes, waffles, even ableskivers (or as we call them, "pancake balls). I throw in the nuts just for the last couple pancakes for me because the boys don't like crunchy pancakes.

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
4 eggs
3 tbls. Turbinado sugar
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup oat flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1 tsp. Baking powder
2 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
lots of nuts (I use chopped walnuts and slivered almonds)

Mix the buttermilk, eggs, sugar and oil together. Mix all the dry ingredients except the nuts in a separate bowl. Combine the two sets of ingredients and mix so there are no lumps. If it takes too much mixing, let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes before putting on the griddle. Makes approximately 24 pancakes that are about 4 inches diameter.

- I buy the bulk Quaker rolled oats from Costco and grind them up in my Vita-Mix for the oat flour.
- I've also added dried cranberries to this recipe
- My kids really like this recipe with mini chocolate chips added.
- The secret to making these pancakes last for a week in the fridge (at least in my own low humidity area) is to stack them up when you take them off the griddle and let them sit for an hour at room temperature. Once they're cool, you need to take each pancake apart from the stack and re-stack in a different order to let all the moisture out. Then you can keep them stacked (covered) in the fridge and they won't stick together when you grab a couple off the stack the next day. Toast in the toaster and add a little butter before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment