Thursday, December 26, 2013

Kale and White Bean Soup

I've never really tried kale. Lots of people talk about it but I figured spinach was good enough for me. But when I found this recipe, I decided I should give it a try. I'm not much of a leafy-things-in-my-soup person (and I'm more of an everything-in-the-pot-and-go person) so instead I tried this in the Vita-Mix. I have to say it turned out pretty good. A hearty, green soup with some nice smoky undertones. Of course, it would be really nice with some bread but for now I just ate it straight up. When you're going for detox meals but it's too cold for smoothies, this would be a great option.

Kale and White Bean Soup
3/4 of a small red onion
1 large handful of baby carrots
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4-1/2 tsp paprika
1/4-1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 a can of tomato sauce
1 tbls Better Than Bullion Chicken base
2 cups packed fresh kale
Water
1 can of white beans, drained and rinsed

Put the onion, carrots, spices, chicken base and tomato sauce into the Vita-Mix. Stuff the kale in last, it will probably be almost to the top of the Vita-Mix. Add water to at least the 4 cup mark. Put on the lid, start the Vita-Mix on Variable Speed 1 and increase to Variable Speed 10 then High. Blend for 6 minutes. Turn the Vita-Mix down to Variable speed 4, open the lid plug and pour in the beans. Blend for another 30 seconds. Turn off, serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment