Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Things That Make Me Give In



by Charlotte Stein
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

My Review:


The Things that Make Me Give In by Charlotte Stein
blog, amazon and goodreads
4.5 stars
Oh Charlotte Stein, how I love reading anything you write! I don't know exactly how I'd classify this one. It's a large collection of short stories. Do I recommend it to first time Charlotte Stein readers? Or maybe just the seasoned ones who want more? I'm not sure. On the one hand, I don't think it shows the true star-power of Charlotte Stein's writing, but it does give readers a small taste of all the different kinds of stories that she writes. I loved reading it, but it was a little different than her other books.


Each story was unique. Some were romantic. Some were just about sex. Some seemed like early drafts of a scene that later turned into it's own book. They were all about 20-30 pages I think (reading on Kindle it's hard to judge that sort of thing).


Between all of these stories, there's just about every kind of kinky sex you can think of. It doesn't have as much of Charlotte Stein's unique turn of phrase that I'm used to from some of her other works. But most of these stories included her signature: messed up people trying to work things out, which mostly involves sex.


Ms. Stein's way of tying all the stories together at the end was simply masterful. I love the sense of empowerment that she gives her characters and I love that she never lets them use excuses as a cop out. Even if they start out that way, they find their own power by the end.


I think in the end, this wouldn't be my first choice in a re-read if I were picking a whole book, but if I were only thinking about reading for 20-30 minutes and really wanted a super, sex-filled story, I could probably pick any one of the stories in this book and be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment