Wednesday, September 4, 2013

His Risk To Take

His Risk To Take
by Tessa Bailey
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

My Review:
After reading the second book in this series, I decided I had to come back and read the first one. The description didn't grab me right away and I'll admit, the book took a while to grab me too. Troy is a very dominant, confident male and at the beginning, Ruby doesn't seem to have much positive going for her.

But I really liked where Troy and Ruby went in this story. They're both broken, hurting people and they find a way to overcome and heal together. And the sex is pretty hot, if you like dominant male sex. Troy's got a filthy mouth, so be prepared. But he's also not skeptical about his ability to love, which I really liked. He doesn't sit pretending that he probably doesn't like Ruby all that much and he's not a jerk. A couple times I felt like his dominant tendencies got in the way of him and Ruby having a relationship; he's not good at keeping her informed about what's going on, but he gets upset when she takes things into her own hands. I felt it was sort-of unintuitive for him that he got upset because Ruby “didn't trust him”, but he didn't really give her a reason to either since he kept her in the dark.

Ruby grew on me and I was pleased that I never felt like smacking her. She skates the edge of the law, but she has good reasons and I always understood where she was coming from. She was the reason I almost didn't read the book (because I didn't think I'd like her), so I was pretty impressed that her character didn't annoy me while I was reading. She was strong and did what she felt was necessary without second guessing herself. I loved that even when she wasn't sure if she could love someone, she found a way to put her feelings into action even if she couldn't say the words.

For me, the very best part of this book is the ending. It was simply perfect. That's where you really feel it was all worthwhile. Sometimes the dominant sex felt like it kept you from seeing the rest of the story, but the ending wiped that all away and I was completely in love with both Troy and Ruby. Overall, I like book two of this series better than this one, but this is still a worthwhile read.


No comments:

Post a Comment