Monday, September 3, 2012

Too Hot To Sleep

Too Hot to Sleep
by Stephanie Bond
Rating: 3 of 5 stars

My Review:
I love the premise of this book. Georgia calls the wrong number and ends up having phone sex with a stranger instead of her boyfriend. She doesn't know that she programmed her speed dial incorrectly, so she keeps calling the same number and the caller never clues her in.

Ken is a police officer and after the first call he meets Georgia by chance and really wants to know her more but doesn't know how to tell her about the phone calls.

This book is interesting enough that I've read it twice now. I like the interactions between Ken and Georgia although at some point it does get uncomfortable that Ken doesn't fess up and Georgia never looks into why her boyfriend doesn't sound right.

But the thing that really bothers me is right at the end of the book. Georgia's father had affairs while she was growing up and she thinks she's inherited his overly high, rampant sex drive. She doesn't want to commit to someone she feels passionate towards because if she lets that passion out it'll spill out everywhere and she'll start having sex with anyone she can. But when she finally mentions her father's affairs to her mother, her mother tells her "I never liked sex so it was inevitable that your father stray".

The light bulb goes off for Georgia then and now everything is ok because it wasn't her father's fault. That completely rubs me the wrong way. She even goes so far as to rationalize that her mom broke her vows first by not being interested enough in sex. Maybe that was an acceptable answer when this book was written but it just doesn't cut it for me. Mom was hurt, Dad didn't intend to do it but just couldn't help it, so that makes it ok. It just leaves me with a bad taste after reading the book. I like the writing and I like the story, but I just can't get over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment