Monday, September 3, 2012

A Lady By Midnight

A Lady by Midnight
by Tessa Dare
Rating: 5 of 5 stars

My Review:
I've looked forward to this book for a while. From the first Spindle Cove book, you know something is coming between Kate and Corporal Thorne, but you just don't know what. I was hooked on this book from the very first page and had trouble putting it down. Sadly, I had to stop for things like dinner but I still finished it in one day.

Kate can't remember life before the boarding school where she was dropped off at the age of five. She really wants to know about her family and has some idea that someone loved her once.

Corporal Thorne and Kate rub each other wrong and have generally avoided each other for a year. Being in the right place at the right time, they get thrown together for a little while and at the same time, family gets thrown into Kate's lap. While they try to figure out the family front, Corporal Thorne insists on watching out for Kate and things progress from there. Unknown to Kate, Corporal Thorne has a connection to her past and doesn't want her putting the pieces together.

I would never have guessed the twists in this story. The emotional connection is intense and at times heart-breaking. At other times I laughed out loud. There aren't many authors who could have me crying for how vulnerable the characters are and on the same page have me hysterically laughing. I will probably read this book again soon just to read the line "You took a melon for me" over and over again. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment