Monday, February 23, 2015

Quinoa Blueberry Breakfast

I've been experimenting with different breakfast recipes. I have this one blueberry oatmeal bake that's super yummy, but oatmeal tends to make me starving hungry an hour later. So I decided to play around with quinoa instead. My first try was a casserole with uncooked quinoa and while it wasn't bad, it didn't turn out quite right.

Since then, I've adjusted the recipe a bit and found something that works pretty well. Quinoa does not stick together as well as oats, so I might eventually try this with some additional sticky liquids (I was thinking extra eggs or maybe even some applesauce). But here's what I have so far.

Quinoa Blueberry Breakfast Bake

1-1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
½ cup (or more!) chopped nuts
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
½ cup maple syrup
1-1/2 cups almond milk
2 large eggs
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas
1 pint fresh blueberries

Cook the quinoa according to the package directions, in approximately 3 cups of water, and let cool slightly. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, half the nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, mush up the bananas and then beat in the maple syrup, almond milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla, until it has an even consistency.


Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and stir until combined. Transfer to a 9x13 glass baking dish, sprayed with oil. Sprinkle the top with the remainder of the nuts and the blueberries, mixing in a little bit. Bake for 35 minutes or until it looks set (higher altitude means I went with 55 minutes). Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment