Tuesday, February 3, 2015

December 2014 Roundup

So, let's just sort-of forget that November is missing from the Roundup menu. Nothing to see here, move along. We're bursting right into December because it's already February and that's how I'm rolling. Breaking those unwritten rules all over the place.

What I've been up to
It took until the end of December (a month late), but I finally typed the end on my first story. A bit over 50K words and still a lot of editing/revising left to do. It's exciting to say I did it, but a little anti-climactic knowing that I still have so much work ahead of me. And don't even get me started on the hamster story. I have to keep working on that, but seeing that the boys just went back to school today, I've been a little lacking in time and motivation these last few weeks.

What I've been reading
Tempted by His Best Friend by Cari Quinn
I didn't feel anything special with this one. It's been quite a while now since I read it and nothing specific stands out. I read it, I enjoyed it, I'm sure it was a good distraction for all the stuff I do while I read.

Crossing The Line by Megan Hart
This book was recommended in one of the comments from a HaBo on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books as being a really good FemDom story. It was enjoyable, well written and very sexy, but I honestly had some problems with it. They had this whole dance around whether or not each of them were ok with Caite being dominant in their sexual relationship. It's an interesting dynamic to think about, especially when the guy is your boss.

But one of the things that really bugged me was, I hate how it always comes up when something would be really special to the woman, everything goes wrong. Was the guy sorry later? Sure, but I can't say he did anything to really make up for that. I wanted some definite grovel and apology from him because of how poorly he reacted and I didn't feel like we got that.

Mari Shu Vol 2, Martian Conquest by Jody Wallace
It seemed like not as much sex as the first story and I'm not up on enough of the sci-fi pop culture to understand all the references, but I had a good time with this story.

Intermezzo by Del Dryden
I'm a sucker for stories with music, so this was a must-read for me. Very sweet, a little sad and painful, but overall a story of second chances. I liked it enough to read it twice, even though it doesn't have a ton of music in it.

In Bed With The Transforming Alien Robot by Crystal Lattis
Cuz yeah, sometimes that's the way we roll, right? It was a fun story. Rather short and has some sexy times with a gear shift, cuz of course.

What I watched
My DH was out of town for 10 days just before Christmas, so I got a bunch of time to watch movies in the evening. I watched a couple old favorites including French Kiss, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, and My Best Friend's Girl. Plus I tried Good Luck Chuck. Couldn't get into it at all. At least with My Best Friend's Girl, Dane Cook's friends are filthy but likable. In Good Luck Chuck, the friend was just a major ass. I might watch it again sometime to see if any other parts redeem it, but mostly just to look at Dane Cook a little more.

What I've been listening to
We'll have to go with January for this one. I just bought some new songs finally. My kids were requesting more Pentatonix and pretty much anything that's not SpongeBob or something funky like that, gets my approval - even if it means we listen to a Christmas album for the next six months. This song is not Christmas, but I can't stop listening to it on repeat and the music video is pretty awesome too. The boys were wide-eyed when I showed them. I love, love, love the cello and violin parts. No real surprise there I guess.
And then I had to explain to my kids the definition of post-apocolyptic ideas and why they were so dirty in the video. I'm really hoping I didn't freak them out.

What I've been cooking
I tried making gluten free gingerbread pancakes over Christmas. My DH was a little hesitant because he doesn't like gingerbread that much, but he was totally onboard once he got a whiff. They are super yummy tasting, but I still haven't perfected them. They just don't stick together or flip very well when you use almond flour, which means some broke apart and some got a little burned. I'm thinking what I need to do is try them as Aebleskiver instead of flat pancakes. I'll report back once I've tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment