Monday, February 10, 2014

Man Hungry by Sabrina York

Man Hungry
by Sabrina York
Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

My Review:
This one was a lot shorter than I expected. It was pretty much three or four scenes. Jessica is set up by her friend on a blind date with the friend's cousin. The date has both of them pretending they got stood up and they have an emotionally charged one night stand.

I enjoyed the writing and it was a cute, short, sexy story. Some of the language made me laugh. This author seems to like some very specific, out of the ordinary romance novel words; like drool and ort (which I had to look up).

The one thing that did make me uncomfortable was the sense of slut shaming. For a rather erotic, sex filled story, you don't expect the use of the word slut in a somewhat derogatory tone. It makes me feel that Jessica didn't really own her sexuality when deciding to be with Justin. It wasn't really a pervasive attitude. It was more of a “I'm a teacher, so if I have a one night stand that makes me a slut”. Sort-of the expectation people have of her more so than whether what she did was right or wrong, but it still made me cringe that the solution was “since you don't normally do this, it makes you not a slut”.


So, overall an enjoyable, engaging read. Fun situations with humorous characters that have a good time together. But a little bit of female disempowerment thrown in to make me feel cheated out of a great resolution. I will keep buying more books by this author. It looks like I have a bit of a backlist to check out. I hope the other books are able to be sex positive, erotic stories instead of throwing in a bit of shaming towards the heroine's sexuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment