Monday, June 16, 2014

A New Spaghetti Sauce

You know me, always looking for more veggies. This time, I had a whole ton of stuff in the fridge getting ready to go bad, and DH is out of town so it had to be something that the boys would eat. I figured pasta is the easiest thing for them, so I'd just go with sauce that would last a while.

I had to make it at 9pm the other night. We got home late and the ground turkey had finished defrosting so I couldn't leave it until the next day. That means I got to try it right after it was done, but the boys had to wait until the next day. I was ready to eat it like soup, it was so good. It got two thumbs up from the boys too.

I sautéed 5 large florets of cauliflower, a bunch of baby carrots and 6 oz of spinach with some oil and almost 2 tsp of minced garlic. Once the spinach was all wilty, I added in 9 roma tomatoes, quartered and sautéed for another few minutes.

I threw all of that into the Vita-Mix and added about 2 cups of water. It was so super full, but the Vita-Mix was still able to handle it. Everything was ground up into a nice smooth soupy mixture.

Then I fried down a pound of ground turkey. I might have thrown in some onion too if it wasn't so late. I sucked out all the grease and then added the veggie puree, along with 2 tablespoons of sugar, a cup of red wine, 2 tsp of basil and a tsp of salt. I simmered it all for about 20 minutes (although I couldn't put the lid on because the pot was too small).

When things got a little foamy, I had to skim off the top from the sauce. After the 20 minutes, I added two cups of mozzarella and stirred until it was all melted and combined. Last was a cup of whipping cream (it makes the sauce stick to the noodles so much better).

Next time, I need to use a bigger pot. If it weren't for the 9 tomatoes about to go bad, I think the pot would have been fine. The boys had the sauce over pasta. I finished up the spaghetti squash. It was all good. (Except my first try with spaghetti squash and it was still really crunchy.) I will definitely be making something like this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment