Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Silent Warrior


Silent Warrior
by Donna Kauffman
Rating: 3 of 5 stars

My Review:
This book was originally published in 1997. I really liked Donna Kauffman's earlier books so when I saw this one being reissued, it sounded like something I'd enjoy. I really did enjoy the majority of the book. I could barely put it down. But I was really disappointed with the end of the book.

I put the book down at about 65% on my Kindle, expecting that I'd have this whole "how they catch the bad guys" part to get through still. Instead I pick it up the next day and I barely had 15% of my Kindle graph that contained the story. The rest of the book was previews of other Loveswept books (which I totally don't mind). But here's the thing: they're heading off to figure out how to catch the bad guys, hero has to go do his alpha thing and heroine is about to get on a plane to stay safe. Next page is a new chapter and surprise, everything is solved, hooray they caught the bad guys and it's like a month later.

This book had so much good build up. It was this great creepy conspiracy where you don't know who's a good guy and who's a bad guy, then you just get one paragraph at the end saying "he was the bad guy and we caught him". In fact, we don't even get to meet the bad guy at all. There's nothing obvious that ties any of the potential bad guys together and clears up what their role was.

I liked the characters and the story started out really promising, but it felt like it had all this build up for the suspense portion of the novel and then at the end said "oh wait, it's really just a romance so we're only going to see things where the hero and heroine work out their issues".

No comments:

Post a Comment