Thursday, August 14, 2014

Three Nights With A Rock Star by Amber Lin and Shari Slade

Three Nights with a Rock Star
by Amber Lin and Shari Slade
Rating: 4 of 5 stars

My Review:
I was warned that this was a pretty crazy book and boy were they right. Even with the warning, I was a little bit mind boggled. It was a very compelling read and I couldn't stop turning pages, but it wasn't at all what I was expecting.

So here's the deal, Hailey was trying to find her sister's lover who might be a member of this band because she wanted to make him take responsibility for being the father of her sister's baby. Lock was the leader of the band and had a case of insta-lust when he saw Hailey. He agreed to give her access to the band if she gave herself to him for three days – signing a contract and everything.

We never really know what happened that made the contract necessary. Lock was kind of kinky in an exhibitionism, three-way action, not-just-in-the-bedroom sex...a little bit of being tied up or spanking. Nothing at all non-consensual. I was more surprised how it was alluded to that he had these big, dark needs, but by the end we still didn't really know what's SOOO terrible that he'd need a contract, how he thought the contract would protect him, or how he's dealing with a couple other twists in the story.

This was basically two stories in one, both sisters got some air time and the two stories are only marginally connected. In fact, they're two completely different genres of romance. We jumped back and forth between totally dirty decadence to sweet, light perhaps-it-would-be-ok-to-kiss churchy romance. It felt a little jarring to go back and forth and I wasn't sure how the second romance actually dealt with their issues either. The reason they weren't together before was just dropped and everything's ok now.

I felt like I wasn't in right mood for a story where the big star falls for the first person who's innocent and not jaded. It's not that Hailey was against sex – she wanted everything happening – but Lock liked her because she was so inexperienced and open to everything he wanted. I'd go so far as to say Hailey was happy with whatever she got, was so thrilled that someone was paying attention to her; even the crumbs of affection that Lock was able to give were enough for her because she hadn't had anything else. It was like an edgy old-skool romance where the hero provided the adventure and the heroine was there to balance out the emotions and caring.

So as an interesting story with a lot of dirty sex, this one was a winner. I couldn't help myself reading it...like looking at the tabloids in the grocery store checkout aisle. But it left a lot of openings in the romance and I didn't feel like I knew anything about the story arc of any of the characters besides yay-sex and these pairings are together now. I felt it ended with riding off into the sunset, but not actually solving any of the problems that come up throughout the story.

I received a complementary ARC from the author, with no expectations of a review.


**This review is archived on my blog: The Theory of Lieto Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment