Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Dirty Trick


Dirty Trick
by Christine Bell
Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

My Review:
This was a scorching hot book. I loved it. Grace and Trick were wonderful characters and I really liked Christine Bell's voice. I ended up getting some unexpected laughs when I went back and forth between reading this one and one of the 50 shades parodies. Not that there was something spoof-like in this book, but going back and forth makes you realize some of the phrasing that we normally just skim through is actually pretty silly if you look at it expecting a parody. I had to remind myself that this was a more serious book and snuggle in for the fun, sexual fantasy ride.

Grace is a matchmaker who gets “tingles” whenever she meets a set of soul mates or compatible people. She doesn't feel like trusting that instinct for herself, seeing that her tingles are for her best friend, Trick, who she considers a player. Grace had a lot going for her; she's pretty, intelligent, has a job she loves and she's got some great friends too. She's got some relationship hang-ups from her ex that are really wearing her down. But she seems pretty happy with where her life is. I didn't feel like she was missing anything at the start of the book. It's just her sense of sexuality that's missing. When she starts exploring her sexuality with the disguised Trick, she blossoms so much and seems to just explode with light inside.

Trick is another great hero. He's got the whole SWAT team toughness, but underneath he's been in this vulnerable place waiting for Grace to see what they could have together. It's always so nice to see a hero who's not scared and running away as the heroine gets close to him. He seems to know exactly what Grace needs and while his choice seems a little shady to Grace, it's somehow exactly what she needs in order to open up. And Trick is totally happy being with her. He hasn't been “on the market” and you know, if something comes up he'll go out with her. He's already settled down with Grace, she just hasn't realized it yet.

The story moved very quickly and never felt boring or dragging. The characters were articulate and intelligent. Each of the characters that Grace and Trick interact with were good, solid personalities in their own right. We get just enough of a taste of Serena and a couple others, that I know I'll have to look up the other books in this series because I liked who they were here.

I'd say almost half of the book was sexual in nature. Mostly expected in a Entangled Brazen book. The sex scenes were very hot and well-articulated. These were two characters who were totally involved and enthusiastic to be with each other sexually.

If there was one thing I felt was missing on this one, it's just that it was too short. I wanted more Grace at her job, more Trick being awesome, and more of the two of them together. As it was, I felt like I barely got a taste and then the book was over. I mean, the taste was totally wonderful, but I really wanted more.

This is one that I will definitely read again and I'll be looking for more by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment