Monday, September 29, 2014

All I Have by Nicole Helm

All I Have
by Nicole Helm
Rating: 4 of 5 stars

My Review:
This was my very first Nicole Helm book and let me tell you, she can really write the socially awkward heroine. It was an excellent glance into growing out of embarrassment and finding a place of confidence. The heroine was strong and powerful, even as she had remnants of her self-conscious, frumpy self.

I loved both hero and heroine in this book. They were tough and vulnerable and had some real problems to work through. There were times they acted stubborn and childish, but never to a point where they got annoying. Occasionally I wanted to smack one or two of them, but only in a good book way, not in the frustrated-throw-the-book way.

Their parents were a different matter. I didn't feel like there was a solid resolution over the way the parents were treating the children. Not that one normally gets that resolution in real life, but in my fiction I like having a powerful confrontation where the parents accept that the kids have grown up. That didn't really happen here, but the main characters showed a good amount of emotional growth in the rest of their lives and moved on from trying to please their parents by the end of the book.

The story was sweet and touching and the banter was lots of fun. I will definitely look for more books by this author.

I received this book as a gift with no review obligations.

**This review is archived on my blog: The Theory of Lieto Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment